How to Start a Lawn Care Business and Run it like a Pro
Are you sure you want to start a Lawn Care business? It’s not an easy line of work. However, it can be very rewarding. I’ve been doing it for 20 years, and love it.
I’m no expert, but I’ll share what worked for me.
Grab Dad’s lawn mower, borrow the neighbor’s weed eater and get customers. Start with family and friends. They’re most likely to hire you. (Unless that feud is still going on!)
What?? It can’t be that easy! Can it? Yes.
Your equipment will determine what size properties you can handle. Just keep that routine going until you have enough $$ to buy your own equipment. OK. Then what? Here’s a quick list of things to consider.
- Naming and Registering your lawn care business – e.g. Pete’s Lawn Service, LLC
- What kind of work will you do? Mowing lawns, tree trimming, landscaping (mulch, etc), fertilizing, pressure washing
- Equipment: Minimum you’ll need a truck, trailer, mower, blower, and weed eater. Your cash on hand will determine what you buy. You don’t need new equipment. You can always bring a lawn care friend or mechanic to help you test out used equipment.
- Advertising. Make flyers, business cards, and knock on neighbors’ doors. Begin a Facebook page, create a website and get an email address.
- How much will you charge? Will it depend on # of trees, and other obstacles? What does your competition charge? That’s your homework.
- Working solo – or with a partner? Weigh out your pros and cons.
- Billing: How do you plan to invoice and get paid? (online, check, and cash) There are advantages and disadvantages to all.
- Insurance – the Most Important. Insure for liability, trailer, and trailer contents. This is not expensive! It’s cheaper than paying for the rock that just flew through that glass patio door.
- What do I need to know? Types of grass (how high do I mow), trees, flowering plants
- Safety equipment: Sunscreen, safety glasses, hat, earplugs, gloves, sturdy footwear, trousers or shorts, and more sunscreen. (Just like Mom always said!)
If this list hasn’t scared you off, there are lawns waiting just for you. Get your business going and let us help you grow it using invoicing and estimating with GreenerBilling Lawn Care Software.